Monday, March 22, 2004


We decided to buy the small cabinet that we had seen at Rimaldini’s and decided to go ahead and pick it up on Saturday, since the bench would be ready on Monday or Tuesday, and both would not fit in the car. Also, GranCasa had called to say that our bathroom mirror was in (finally!), so we decided to pick up the mirror and cabinet, and then return on Monday or Tuesday for the bench.

As luck would have it, when we arrived at Rimaldini’s we were told that the bench was ready! So…now we had to figure out how to fit all three pieces in the car. One of the things that I DON’T like about our car is how little cargo it really holds. You would think that being a station wagon it would be large enough, but I think the fact that the sides of the car angle in really hurts the space.

We did manage to fit everything in, and once we arrived in San Venanzo, we discovered that the bench has a few scuff marks…not really scratches, just places where the paint had been rubbed. Amazingly, the paint we were using on the fence was almost an exact match, and we were able to touch up these spots with no noticeable difference! Even more amazing, the spray paint we had bought to use as a primer for the scroll-work on the gate was almost an exact match! This would mean that covering every tiny spot was not a necessity!

As I write this on Monday night, the paint is still tacky…the weather has turned cooler, and I guess the humidity has increased too. Tomorrow night the low is predicted to be 23 Fahrenheit! But then it’s back up in the 50’s after that…spring WILL make its way here, sooner or later.

On Sunday we decided to mount the glass shelves we had bought for Art’s coffee cups. Originally they were on the top of one of the cabinets, but you really couldn’t see them very well, and the whole idea just didn’t work. Since I had been looking for an idea for over the three windows in the kitchen, I thought that narrow shelves with the coffee cups might look nice. Art agreed, and after visiting several stores, we finally found the sizes we needed, and some burnt orange brackets to used as supports.

Art thought that I was making a mountain out of a molehill with all my measuring and calculating, but I assured him that the key to this project was to hang the smaller shelf in the center FIRST, then hang the two longer pieces on either side. Being the smart man that he is, Art agreed with me, and as predicted, it turned out perfectly!

We also hung the small curio cabinet in the living room. This of course involved taking down a picture and the clock….but I decided it was worth it, and Art went along! He knows if I’m happy, he’s happy! And I must say, it looks great. Between the two of us, we got the measurement figured out and the cabinet is now located above my Mom’s washstand and is filled with tiny treasures from our travels. Pictures next time!


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home