STUCK IN THE STATES!
Yesterday was my big day to pack (and re-pack) our suitcases, to decide which clothes to leave here for the spring and which to take back to Italy, to store my cooking supplies in the basement, and to get everything ready to today's flights back to Italy. Then Mother Nature decided to change everything.
Today we are under a winter storm warning and the ground is covered with snow and ice. The snow/ice/rain/sleet continues to fall, and more accumulation is expected over the next few days. I decided to call USAir yesterday to see what my options were in case we couldn't get to the airport, or in case the flight was cancelled altogether.
The USAir reps were very helpful and told me that I could go ahead and rebook my flights up to seven days. Given the weather forecast, and the fact that Philadelphia is famous for it's bad weather, I decided to rebook. We knew Thursday and Friday's weather still looked bad, at least in the forecast. Saturday looked a little better, but then the flight schedules were terrible and we knew all the flights would still be backed up, so we checked on Sunday flights. Unfortunately the only flights to Philly had us either leaving Louisville at 6:30 A.M., spending hours in the airport until our (scheduled) 6:05 p.m. departure, or not arriving until 5:00 p.m., not giving us enough time to make our connection. Forget that. Monday wasn't an options since USAir doesn't fly to Rome on Mondays in the off season. So - now we're looking at Tuesday, and unbelievably that puts us into FEBRUARY!!!! There were plenty of seats left on that flight so I went ahead and booked it. Another 6 days here in Louisville, but many of them will be spent stuck in the house due to the terrible road conditions!
I did check the flights online to day, and the flight from Louisville to Philly is/was cancelled, so it looks like I made the right call. Now if we can get a small window of opportunity to run to the grocery - and hope there's something left on the shelves!!!